Do you often wake up with pain in your facial region (sore jaw, headache) and teeth? Then you may be suffering from a condition called Bruxism (teeth grinding), which means your teeth are prone to damage such as cracks, factures and even tooth erosion of the dentin (the soft area underneath the tooth’s enamel). It’s a very common condition that affects approximately 40 million children and adults in the U.S.
Bruxism (teeth grinding) Symptoms:
- Sore Jaw caused by muscles that are tight or painful
- Lasting pain in the face
- A grinding sound at night
- Occasional swelling on your lower jaw caused by clenching
Bruxism (or Teeth Grinding) Treatment Options
- The most common and effective solution for teeth grinding is a night guard which can eliminate the pain and damage caused to your teeth.
- Jaw or teeth alignment – Teeth that are out of alignment can contribute to teeth grinding. This can be fixed by corrective measures such as braces.
- Stress prevention – One of the main causes of teeth grinding is anxiety. We might advise you to meditate at home for relaxation, or in some cases professional counseling, to get you to relax and stop clenching your jaw.
Types of Night Guards
- Over the Counter
- Custom Fit
Custom fit night guard are made using higher quality material in a special laboratory from an impression of your mouth carefully taken by a dental professional. These will provide superior fit and will be more comfortable to wear. You may be tempted to purchase an over-the-counter version due to cost reasons. This type of night guard is not custom-fit to your mouth; therefore, it could be uncomfortable and can make it impossible to get a good night’s sleep! If a night guard is recommended for you and you don’t have the funds, we can setup a no interest payment plan through CareCredit to help you to get the dental night guard you need.